Monday 13 August 2012

Help I'm in my twenties

This isn't my usual sort of post. No outfit picture I've purposefully posed for. No list of items I can't afford, that I've been converting or instagramed snaps of my past few weekends of fun and adventure.

I've spent my morning flipping the pages of the weekends magazine supplements. Something I quite often do on a Monday morning. I normally read the Sunday Times Style, then move on to Stella from the Telegraph from the previous day, then quite often if it's lying around the supplement from the tacky papers where everything is photographed is worn by a star from TOWIE, or the diet of the new Dancing on Ice star. Though what really caught my eye, was n article from the Saturday Times magazine. It's titled "Twenty Something Crisis".

The start is quite interesting with the story of a blogger, who like many in their twenties, left university with great expectations. A swish job, cocktails on the weekend and a gym membership. However this seems entirely wrong of us to think. American Emma Koenig, felt the pinch of the current recession, and like all of us dreamt of the lavish post university lifestyle. Though this didn't happen, she moved back to her parents, applied for jobs, got rejected for jobs and blogged about it all because she felt lonely. Now her blogs have been turned to a book " F***! I'm in my twenties" and I'm guessing now success is at her feet. Lucky her.

The most interesting part of this article for me was the later piece,which had five different accounts of twenty something's, telling the tale of post uni,shattered dreams and debts.

All though not post university quite yet,it's something I worry about. I have like many others a vision. I'd like to finish get offered a job before my last exam, and start renting preferably a two bed but I know that's pushing it, so let's say a studio apartment in London. I'd spend most weekends with recovering from after work Friday drinks-Saturday morning, leisurely walks around borough market picking up organic vegetables and quick shopping trips to Selfridges. I'd have a new designer bag every season, maybe a pair of shoes as well, and not really have many worries apart from if my Oyster card balance runs out.

Luckily I'm not dislluisional enough to think this is going to happen. I'm more likely to be searching for a job till June, and worse case moving home and continuing the search. If I do find one, there will be no studio flat but a small room in a shared house with possibly strangers which I'll be paying over the odds for. Shopping will most definitely be a thing of the past and can forget over priced organic vegetables. Gym memberships will be replaced with running around the local park, and my pays main aim will be to pay off my student debt as soon as possible.

The stories in the magazine aren't much different to mine above. Many still searching for jobs, living with parents and having there dreams totally neglected. Sadly it's something I think my generation are now expecting. I've found it's time for the dreaming to stop, and think harder about where our money is going and instead of splurging putting it aside to gain barely anything in interest.

I know I'm not the only one facing this, but it's something that does panic me. I could never regret my choice to go to university. I've had so far the best time of my life, met the most amazing people and gained so much. But I fear in years to come my opinion may change as the burden of the debt, and no promise of paying it off quickly will dampen my spirits.

Do you ever have thoughts post university? Have you experienced any of the above already? Somehow I don't think it's something that's going away quickly, but something we now have to live with, and more so learn to deal with.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post, I think you just have to be realistic and try to stay positive. It might take a while to get where you want to be but you will get there I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete