Thursday 3 May 2012

An Evening with Disneyrollergirl

This post is a little late, but last week I attended a Manchester Fashion Network event at The Avenue, Spinningfields Flannels store, where a Q&A session was held with well know blogger Disneyrollergirl.


The event told how Navaz Batliwalla broke into the industry as well as blogging. She explained  her career to date, having studied fashion promotion and illustration. She always took advantage of various opportunities to do work experience for magazines, before landing an assistant job where she stayed for five years. She then took the move to go freelance .

Her blog, which she started in 2007 was a way of writing about all the press days and industry events she was attending, giving an insiders view to the outsiders. 
The relationship between bloggers and brands was also questioned, Navaz felt that the relationship was still something very new, which companies and brands are still getting the hang of.  It was intriguing to hear her view on how bloggers are accepted in the industry and what the future is.


Unlike a lot of other people attending, I went out of general interest. I got the impression a lot of the audience were pro bloggers, or even from brands. It was so intriguing to hear someone speak about a subject which is quite a taboo. Navaz is clearly an extremely intelligent woman with a vast experience in the industry, this I found inspiring and even plucked up the courage to just say Hi at the end. This was prompted by a tweet from her, after I tweeted my excitement earlier in the day.
I took a lot away from the event, and realised that it is better to keep blogging personal, not to panic if you don`t have an idea for a post every day. This is something I like. I sometimes panic that my blog is only full of recent over spends, and dents in my over draft but,my blog is a personal outnet, and I plan to continue writing about the things I enjoy, that way I know I am writing honestly and keeping to my blogging beliefs.



(Pictures sourced from MFN website)


No comments:

Post a Comment